Reading MT/ST Tapes

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jul 29 09:21:25 CDT 2021

On 7/29/21 1:58 AM, Dave Wade G4UGM via cctalk wrote:

> Its only recorded at around 25BPI so I don't thing it would be too hard to decode.
> Given its a character at a time, I suspect some iron filings or similar would reveal the codes and track spacing and with a bit of luck you could find a head that would read the data...
> I am sure we used to have some when we had real tapes.

The second inquiry for me in about 30 years.

I've occasionally seen the tape units come up for auction, but not in
the last 10 years or so.   There was even a version to interface to a
S/360 channel.

There is documentation on the stuff running around; it may have been
from the old golfballtypewritershop yahoo group.  Someone from the
https://groups.io/g/TYPEWRITERS may have a lead on a unit or at least
memories of it.

The hard part is going to find one of the reader units.

--Chuck