Skew vs. interleave

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 20:20:40 CDT 2021

Same here.

I've spent many happy hours in 'the good old days' adjusting 'interleave'
of ST512/406 MFM hard disks to find the optimum setting for a particular
system/controller but had never even heard the term 'skew' until 5 or 6
years ago while playing with odd format diskettes, and then it was in the
track offset sense.

So I was surprised that some folks in the S100/CPM world use 'skew' in the
interleave sense, apparently because the CP/M documentation used it that
way. I'm always surprised how a field so dependent on rigid logical
concepts and definitions has so many inconsistencies.

Thanks everyone!