DEC Computer Lab for sale

tony at scorchingbay.nz tony at scorchingbay.nz
Sun Jun 6 19:34:13 CDT 2021

On 31/05/2021 10:02 am, Vincent Slyngstad via cctalk wrote:

> On 5/30/2021 1:02 PM, Mike Stein wrote:
>> What's the length and the diameters at each end of the pin? I've got
>> some cables for Burroughs patch panels that might be useful.
>
> The pin diameter at the rounded tip is .093", a standard pin diameter.
> It flares to 0.102" or so, over about 0.34" of length. The overall pin
> length (including the insulation crimp/strain relief) is about 0.65".
>
> Also measured some patch cords (pin tip to pin tip):
> Brown is 2.75".
> Red is 4.75".
> Orange is 6.75".
> Yellow is 8.75".
> Green is 16.5".
> Subtract about an inch and a quarter for the length of the visible wire.
>
> There was also blue, though I don't have one to measure.  My notes
> remind me that the blue looks about an inch or so longer than green,
> based on the cover photo of the manual. At that length it will
> comfortably reach across the device, whereas the green is just a
> little short for that.
>
> Found in my old notes:
> The DEC 12-03498 was a #41675 taper pin.
> Similar AMP taper pins:
> 42107 "88" series will fit.
> 42279 is similar, though obsolete.
>
> My old notes also suggest higher quantities for the patch cords; 100
> of them all together:
> B 20
> R 30
> O 25
> Y 20
> G 10
> B  2
>
>     Vince

I've got to admit that I recently found I had some boxes of these cords
and as they were rather tarnished, considered tossing them into the
cable recycling pile :-(

Now that you have reminded me what they are (I checked they fitted
computer lab), I have checked the dimensions you gave and can confirm
the approx dimensions of the pins and most of the cords.  But two
changes, the green ones are 16.75" inches long, and the blue ones are
24.75" long.

Can anyone independently verify the number of each cord type in a set?

-- Tony.

https://www.avg.com