Early Programming Books

Paul Birkel pbirkel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 03:43:43 CDT 2021

Google document translate gives a modestly useful result after OCRing the UT
original scan (www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/MCReps/CR1957-009.PDF).  Needs
significant further work for readability :-<.

Deeker, et al. appear to approach the topic from the perspective of
mathematics (that is, modestly abstractly) after introducing the standard
von Neumann 5-part model of a machine.  They keep that general description,
mapping mathematical expressions to general operations within that model.
TOC:

1. General Introduction to Automatic Calculators
2, The word
3. The number
4, The Command
5. Block diagrams
6. Subroutines I
7, An elaborate~ example
8. Subroutines II
9. Subroutines III
10. Speed
11. Scaling, Control and Flexibility
12. The Administrative Subroutine I
13. The Administrative Subroutine II
14. Super programs

McCracken approaches the topic with the same von Neumann model of a machine
but then proceeds from the perspective of a hypothetical "typical"
instruction set and a modestly specific architecture (e.g. signed ten-digit
storage).

AFAICS neither envisions representations for characters/text and the
processing thereof.

Both in 1957.  Something in the air :->?