VT100 colors

Adrian Graham binarydinosaurs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 09:06:59 CDT 2021

> On 21 Jun 2021, at 14:48, Antonio Carlini via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 21/06/2021 07:51, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
>> I want to say that it’s white.  Though I can’t get to mine right now.
>>
>> Zane
>>

>> Sent from my iPod
>>
>>> On Jun 20, 2021, at 10:50 PM, Lars Brinkhoff via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what colors a VT100 is?  Most photos online has it
>>> looking yellowish, but I expect that's from aging.  Some people I have
>>> asked claim it was a light cream color.  This bitsavers picture has it
>>> looking neutral grey:
>>> http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/terminal/vt100/vt100_wps-8.jpg
>>>
>>> And the black parts are claimed to be dark brown.
>>>
>>> I haven't found any color codes in the manuals.
>

> I can't get t mine either but I think they were originally light cream, but not bright white.
>
> I suspect that most photos have it as yellowish because that's what they are now :-)
>
> The black bits I remember as black.
>

> I remember the tube colour being green, I think I remember seeing amber and I believe that white was an available option.

All my VTs are coloured how I remember them - light cream with black inserts. It wouldn’t surprise me if they were produced in slightly different colours back then, but my DECbox (VT100 with embedded Beaglebone) behind me is how I remember them. I have a pic of me in front of it back in (I think) 1985 so I’ll dig that out.

I don’t remember the screens being green though, my first encounter with green screens was VT220s and all my VT1xx’s are white. This could just have been our corner of the UK though.

--
Adrian Graham
Owner of Binary Dinosaurs, the UK's biggest private home computer collection?