Early Programming Books

Van Snyder van.snyder at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 21 12:53:44 CDT 2021

On Mon, 2021-06-21 at 06:02 -0700, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:
> That 1620 would have been a fantastic addition to their running
> display.  Much easier to work on than what it sounds like the 1401 is.
> And with a duplicate backup.

CHM has a 1620 that was running for a while. IIRC, somebody told me
that the reason it stopped running was a damaged fan in the core
memory. Nobody explained why that was a real problem.

They didn't get a 1622, so they built a PC interface that made the
appropriate noises when cards were being "read" and "punched".

I don't know whether their PDP-1 still works. Several years ago, they
let me play "Space War" for a few minutes. Watching it load from a
stack of fan-folded paper tape was half the fun.