VT100 colors

Matt Burke matt at 9track.net
Tue Jun 22 02:16:20 CDT 2021

On 21/06/2021 18:12, Antonio Carlini via cctalk wrote:
> I found the IPB on bitsavers and that lists the P4 phosphor and a
> later CRT with the P40 phosphor. I think both of those are white.
>

> I did find one seemingly untouched image of a VT100 with green text:
> https://vistapointe.net/cliparts/getsecond. That does appear to be a
> VT100 (not a VT102/VT103 etc) and is green.
>
> I did find many more white phosphor pictures than green (and no amber
> at all).

The VT640 had a green phosphor. This was a 3rd party upgrade for the
VT100 from Digital Engineering which gives the VT100 graphical
capabilities. Part of the upgrade involved changing the picture tube. I
suspect this was to reduce flicker as the phosphor has a high persistence.

Here is an original advert for the upgrade:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rO0QAcSJpQUC&pg=PA27

Matt