VT340 Emulation

Mark Matlock mark at matlockfamily.com
Thu Jun 24 11:11:39 CDT 2021

> On Jun 24, 2021, at 9:36 AM, Zane Healy <healyzh at avanthar.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
> Thanks!  That’s not bad at all considering what VT525’s are going for, and I’d really like to get a terminal with ReGIS Graphics (though I finally have a VAXstation 4000/90 running as a VAXstation).  Mind you, I’m not sure why I need one.
>
> I wonder if an LK450-AA keyboard will work, I have a couple with WPS key-caps.  I know those will work on an AlphaStation.  The VTLAN40 page indicates it needs a LK412-AQ for the WPS version of the keyboard, so i’d probably better figure that in the cost.  This makes me wonder, has anyone ever documented what all the different keyboards go to, and how they’re different?
>
> I’m more awake this morning, and took another look through the webpage, this time on my computer, rather than an iPod.  This looks like the perfect replacement for the VT420 & DECserver 90TL in my Office.  The ReGIS graphics helps to sell it.  Most of the time I simply use SecureCRT on my Mac Pro, but occasionally I need a real DEC keyboard.
>
> Zane

Zane,
    Does the LK450-AA keyboard have a round 6 conductor PS/2 style connector? If so I think it would work.
I looked up a pin out for that PS/2 connector and Pin 1 is data, Pin 2 is ground, Pin 4 is +5V, and Pin 5 is Clock
with Pins 2 and 6 not used. I suspect that a common cheap PS/2 keyboard would also work fine except that
keyboard mapping especially the keypad needed for EDT, KED, etc. might not work quite right.

    I do think this would make a great replacement for a VT420 and DECserver as few terminal emulators do LAT
although Reflection did in the past. My favorite Mac VT terminal editor at the moment is ZOC which continues to
get better with each update (although no VT340).

   I’ll send you a .pdf of the user manual for the VT LAN 40 separately that will give you a better picture of the unit.

Best,
Mark