VT340 Emulation

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 08:07:23 CDT 2021

> On Jun 25, 2021, at 4:48 AM, Peter Corlett via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 06:46:41PM -0600, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> [...]
>> The 4k monitors that I've worked with have been ultra high DPI. This means
>> that things that don't have DPI settings end up being tiny on the screen.
>
> It works fine on MacOS, except for various garbage ports from Windows
> (Audacity is the one which comes to mind first) using "cross-platform"
> toolkits which ignore or misuse the native APIs.

There may be applications like that but Audacity does not fit the description.  It uses WxWidgets, which is specifically known for using the native APIs on each of the platforms it runs on.

Mac OS "retina" screen handling works by pretending, by default, that dots on the screen are 2x the real size.  But you can address the actual pixels by requesting a scale factor of 0.5 in the API.  I have several WxWidgets application that do this.

A possible issue is that a lot of applications, including many Apple ones, don't offer an adequate selection of scaling options.  This is one of the very few places where Windows is better, in that it offers ways to scale the text to comfortably large sizes for old eyes.

	paul