VT340 Emulation

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Mon Jun 28 08:22:06 CDT 2021

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 at 14:11, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
> > On Jun 28, 2021, at 4:23 AM, David Brownlee via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> > I noticed this the other day, just in case it's of interest to anyone
> > on this thread.
> >
> > | https://www.tindie.com/products/nsayer/ftdi-be-gone/
> > | FTDI-be-gone is a USB-to-serial adapter. ... Rather than use a
> > proprietary device
> > | driver to implement the serial port in the host, it relies on CDC
> > class drivers supplied by the
> > | OS.
>
> Which OS requires special FTDI drivers?  Mac OS certainly does not.

I think he's probably referring to the hugely overinflated BIOS &
firmware updating software that most x86 hardware ships with.

I've never had the need to connect an FTDI based device to anything
other than NetBSD, but I remember reading the horror stories a while
back about FTDI Windows drivers trying to brick knock off clone
hardware.

David