Spelunking the places where files are not

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 16:02:10 CST 2021

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 1:46 PM Paul Koning via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Yes, RT11 has contiguous files.  That actually made it rather unusual.  For example, while RSTS supports contiguous files that isn't the default and because of disk fragmentation wasn't commonly used.

On VMS you can copy files with the /CONTIGUOUS switch to specify that
the output file must occupy contiguous physical disk blocks. Of course
the default is /NOCONTIGUOUS.

I vaguely remember using the /CONTIGUOUS switch to copy MDM (MicroVAX
Diagnostic Monitor) diagnostic files from one bootable MDM disk to
another. I forget if that is necessary for proper operation of MDM.