VAX rom patches - VAXstation 2000 SCSI boot, KA420 > 1GB boot

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Mon Mar 22 05:17:08 CDT 2021

David Brownlee via cctalk wrote:

> I had some extra A4 pages with a VAXstation 2000 manual which covered
> a preview PK2K kit for VMS, bootloader and ROM to allow use of the
> VAXstation 2000 SCSI controller for more than just tapes.
>
> Rough scan at http://sync.absd.org/vax/VAX-PK2K-preview-kit.pdf (the
> originals will be sent to someone who can do a better job)
>
> The pages led me to http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/vms/ which includes some goodies:
> - http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/vms/pk2k - uVAX-2k SCSI patches with source
> for boot roms, VMB & VMS
> - http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/vms/ka420 - ROM patches for KA420/KA430 boot
> from >1GB disks
> - http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/vms/dk-552/ - VMS 5.2 patch to allow to
> accept more SCSI disk devices
>
> (Starting a new thread in case there is (slightly) more general
> interest for anyone interested in using the onboard uVAX-2K SCSI
> controller more more than tapes (OK, OK, for anyone not running NetBSD
> on their uVAX-2K interested in etc etc) - have cross posted to cctalk
> & port-vax - hopefully not violating any conventions there)
>
> David

Two years before I've tried to boot an VS2000 with those rom patches
into NetBSD..it didn't work, since the VS2000 Boot code does'nt expext to
have a disk connected to this controller and so it can't find a root fs
at all. I did discuss this at port-vax and ragge suggested so set up a
patched machine and connect it to the internet so he could try to fix
this remotely. Sorry, it was my fault that this got never realized,
I could'nt get a telnet port redirect to an VS3100 ony my net trough an
Linksys router to work for some still unknown reason.

I'm still interested to get this to work (for a friend, this isn't my
VS2000), just have to get the machines to where I live now and try to
setup this a 2nd time..

I hav'nt seen your crosspost to port-vax..huh?

Regards,
Holm

         Goethestrasse 15, 09569 Oederan, USt-Id: DE253710583
info at tsht.de Fax +49 37292 709779 Tel +49 37292 709778 Mobil: 0172 8790 741