punching paper tape

Guy Fedorkow fedorkow at mit.edu
Sun Mar 28 14:19:08 CDT 2021

  Al K has read hundreds of these Whirlwind tapes using a standard
8-track optical reader, so I think we can confirm that it is punched
with the common geometry, except one track narrower, with four bits on
one side of the sprocket holes, and three bits on the other.
  The tapes are for pedagogical purpose, so if I can punch on inch-wide
tape and perhaps trim the width later, that works just fine.
Thanks all!
 /guy

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 16:01:38 -0700 From: Al Kossow
<aek at bitsavers.org> To: cctalk at classiccmp.org Subject: Re: punching
paper tape Message-ID:
<f52af974-dbc4-0a51-409e-b4cc2b9076e9 at bitsavers.org> Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed On 3/26/21 2:58 PM, Steve
Malikoff via cctalk wrote:

> OK thanks for that. I just had a browse and read that "Whirlwind used
> the same paper tape format that was popular with Teletype machines" so
> I gather it's nothing special after all.

the best picture i have at hand of what a ww tape looks like is on the
right of
http://bitsavers.org/bits/MIT/whirlwind/X4222.2008_Whirlwind_ptp/pictures/start_of_sort_20180724/8.JPG
you can see it is narrower by one punch than a normal 8-channel tape