Documentation for F11 Chipset?

Bjoren Davis bdweb at mindspring.com
Mon May 3 12:29:53 CDT 2021

I recently brought a PC350 back from the dead.

A good source of documentation for the F-11 is that for the 11/23 and
11/24 (e.g.,
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/qbus/Digital_Microcomputer_Processor_Handbook_1979_80.pdf
chapter 3 "LSI-11/23 Processor" or
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/1124/EK-11024-TM-001_PDP11_24_System_Technical_Manual_Jun81.pdf)

The first thing I'd do is to attach a "console terminal" cable (a cable
attached to the printer port with pin 9 pulled to ground -- pin 8).  DEC
makes such a cable called BCC08 but I just made one myself.

Then use a terminal program at 4800 to send a break and see if you get
the ODT prompt.

In my case I didn't get such a response.  It turned out that the leaky
battery had destroyed the "EPCI" at E155 (the async serial chip for the
printer/console terminal port).  I swapped the EPCI at E154 (the
keyboard async serial chip) and I was able to at least talk to the ODT.
I then bought a replacement EPCI on eBay and I was on my way.

Good luck!

--Bjoren