IBM 1410 FPGA Implementation Update - new github repository

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Tue May 4 07:45:43 CDT 2021

On 5/3/2021 6:23 PM, Michael Thompson via cctech wrote:

>> Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 15:38:33 -0500
>> From: Jay Jaeger <cube1 at charter.net>
>> Subject: IBM 1410 FPGA Implementation Update - new github repository
>>
>> The last 12 months I have been pretty busy working on my 1410 in FPGA
>> project, and there is now more to share, though I have not done much
>> actual work since February - been too busy playing with other "toys".  8D
>>
>> JRJ
>>

> The RICM has a 1401 control panel. It would be pretty cool to mount your
> FPGA to the back of it and get it to blink the lights the right way.
>
> https://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home/interesting_computer_items/ibm-control-panels

Nope, sorry, wouldn't work.  This is a *1410*, not a 1401.  The 1410
does usually have a hardware implementation of the 1401 buried inside -
accessed via a switch on the console, but it is controlled 1410 style,
via the 1415 console (including the selectric for displaying and
modifying memory), not via lights and switches like the 1401.

However, the *technique* I used could be used to accomplish your goal,
though you might need to multiplex the lights depending on how many
connections it would take - for example, my Digilent board has 4 Pmod
ports so only 32 pins of I/O.

JRJ