Motor generator

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Fri May 7 11:29:08 CDT 2021

On Friday (05/07/2021 at 09:03AM -0700), Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 5/7/21 5:53 AM, Chris Elmquist wrote:
>
> > The HQ building (nee BTC) was built just a year before ETA started,
> > so 1982 or so.  But somehow it ended up with very 70s-ish decor, even
> > if it was all new 70s-ish decor.  It's possible they wanted all the guys
> > that moved down from ARHOPS and ADL to still feel at home...
>
> Oh, yeah, brightly painted exposed pipes, too.  Probably inspired by the
> 1970's Centre Pompidou in Paris.
>
> CDC native decor was the usual 60's drab.   The ubiquitous brwon
> vinyl-and-fabric Steelcase chairs, for example.  Another hangover,
> thankfully abandoned, was the OCR-looking typeface on office typewriters.

Yup.  There were a fair number of the gun-metal grey desks that looked
like they had come back from the Korean war or something that some of
the guys brought from ADL to ETA.  Wanted to keep their own desk!

> I hated the look of that so much that I managed to snag an IBM Model B
> Executive with proportional spacing when a GM's secretary moved to a
> Selectric.

Ha. That really was a CDC trademark in all of their documentation.

I must have grown up on the wrong side of the tracks because I remember
thinking it was kind of cool.  I even went so far as to seek out an
OCR type wheel for my Diablo printer so that I could print listings
at home that looked like the ones I did at work :-)  What can I say?
I was young and impressionable then...  LOL.

cje
--
Chris Elmquist