cctalk Digest, Vol 80, Issue 5

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Fri May 7 13:36:14 CDT 2021

On 5/6/2021 6:43 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
I wonder.  Consider object oriented programming, where objects that have
all manner of stuff inside are treated as a unit and have operations
performed on them.

I don't buy the class model of OOP. Classes are LIKE each other not
someting that can shared between them. If that was the case move
X-windows to MS-windows would be just X->XWIN = convert(X->M$WIN) for
screen display.
   > Agreed on stack languages.  While there's nothing inherently hard
about them, they don't fit the way we're taught to handle formulas all
the way from grade one.  In fact, while APL is infix, it's
right-associative, which is a definite problem.  It's unfortunate
Iverson didn't fix the assignment operator problem the way POP-2 did, by
pointing it to the right so all operators could be left-associative.

I think of variables and the stack nesting of variables.

I find it confusing. Where are varibles for a=b+c. found. At what level
can you find just who defined what with out reading the whole
program.How many links must be checked to get your data.

Ben.