Looking for VAXSET Software Engineering Tools for VMS 4.x

Malte Dehling mdehling at gmail.com
Fri May 14 04:47:09 CDT 2021

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 08:18:33PM +0100, Antonio Carlini wrote:
> On 12/05/2021 13:58, Malte Dehling wrote:
> >
> > Here are the links to the relevant archive.org uploads:
> >
> > https://archive.org/details/vms-conold-1989-07
> > https://archive.org/details/vms-ad-condist-1989-07
> > https://archive.org/details/vms-condist-1989-07
> > https://archive.org/details/vms-condist-1989-11
> > https://archive.org/details/digital-standards-1993-03
> >
> > Let me know what you think!
>
> Thanks. Nice work, particularly grouping them together, pulling out the
> JPEGs and seemingly mounting them to suck out the CD_CONTENTS.DAT!
>
> As a reward for your hard work here are a few more for you :-)
>
> I've now uploaded ag-nc67a-re.tar.xz, ag-mn36d-re.tar.xz and
> ag-pcy4c-xe.tar.xz.
>
> These are:
>
> AG-NC67A-RE - VMS Online Documentation Library        1989-03 Disc 1 of 1
> AG-MN36D-RE - VMS Consolidated Software Distribution  1989-05 Disc 1 of 1
> AG-PCY4C-XE - InfoServer V2.0 Software Base Level 10  1991-11 Disc 1 of 1

Perfect!  Thanks so much :-)  The first two are now also on archive, the
InfoServer CD will follow soon:

https://archive.org/details/vms-conold-1989-03
https://archive.org/details/vms-condist-1989-05

I plan on updating the description for the CONOLD CDs with a list of the
books included.  That probably means writing a script to extract that
information from the DECW$BOOKSHELF files.

> AG-MN36D-RE in particular took over 5 days to rescue. In the end it managed
> 99.41% and couldn't get any more data off the CDROM when run with -R. So,
> despite the internet saying use 2000 and 3000 grit sandpaper, I went against
> all the advice and recklessly tried a seven minute does of 1500 frit
> sandpaper, followed by the usual vigorous polishing. I've included a
> "before" image of the rear (non-label) side of the CDROM and a triangular
> "blemish" is clearly visible near the centre and extending out into the data
> region. 2000 grit didn't touch it, I could still feel it afterwards with my
> fingernail. 1500 grit wiped it away completely and ddrescue got to work
> immediately and took just 10 minutes or so to recover the missing data
> (apart from 4096 bytes).

Wow, thanks a lot!  You are putting in some serious effort here!  I'm
glad this worked so well :-)

Cheers,
Malte

--