DDS Intertec SuperBrain attic find w/ OS and dust cover

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon May 17 16:21:07 CDT 2021

Most who are familiar with Intertec SuperBrain will already know, but for
those who are unfamiliar:
They had three disk formats:

All of which can be done by reformatting IBM "360K" diskettes"

Single sided "Double Density" (MFM) 200K 48TPI 40 track.  ISTR 10 512 byte
sectors per track, the data may have been inverted within the sectors.

Double sided "Double Density" (MFM) 400K 48TPI 40 trackper side.  They
called the DSDD, "QUAD DENSITY".  Everybody else in the world used "QUAD
DENSITY" to refer to DSDD 80 track per side.  The head number field on
the second side had an incorrect value in it.  That poses some minor
hassle with using INT13h to read them.

Double sided "Double Density" (MFM) 800K 96TPI 80 trackper side.  Because
they had alread used up the name "QUAD DENSITY" to refer to DSDD 40 trak
per side, they called the "800K" format "SUPER DENSITY", which they
abbreviated "SD", which confuses the rest of the world that uses "SD" to
refer to "SINGLE DENSITY".

In addition, the index "flash blindness" of the NEC chip sometimes poses
minor difficulties, with the short post index gap.