DECNet for Pro 300 series boxes

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue May 18 00:51:47 CDT 2021

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 8:53 PM Paul Koning via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> There are two comms option cards: the DECNA Ethernet, and the 3CA quad UART (a very obscure device).

Yeah... I have neither of those, but at least I've seen a picture of a DECNA.

> The other limitation is the software.  DEC only supplied P/OS, RT-11, and Ultrix (or was that some other Unix?

Not DEC, but there was VENIX from VenturCom.  I have VENIX 1.0 on a
Pro350, and there was VENIX 2.0 for the Pro380.  No idea about DECNA
support in 2.0, but I have the (paper) manuals for 1.0 and there's no
mention of it.  I think a TCP stack might crush an F-11.  You could
run TCP/IP on a 2.11BSD system, but that required a Split I&D
processor and that means a J-11 (or a larger Unibus box, in practice).

-ethan