VT100 dot stretching in reverse video

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Fri May 21 00:15:54 CDT 2021

Bill Degnan wrote:
> I already let Lars know, but if anyone wants to see what I came up with:
> https://www.vintagecomputer.net/temp/VT102/

Thank you very much!  This is interesting because it shows VT100 dot
stretching is done first, and other attributes on top of that.  The
VT220 does character widening first, and dot stretching after that.
This means VT220 double width characters get more fine details than on
the VT100.

(The CIT-101 clone does widening first and dot stretching later like the
VT220.  BUT it disables dot stretching in reverse video, which is unlike
the DEC terminals.  Maybe this suggests reverse video is done before
dot stretching.)