SCSI2SD

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Sat May 22 11:19:35 CDT 2021

On May 22, 2021, at 9:12 AM, Ali <cctalk at ibm51xx.net> wrote:

>> I am wondering if anyone has used these to replace HDDs in RAID
>> configurations? My thought would be it should work fine as long as they
>> look like real HDD to the system but who knows?
>
> Looking at the FAQ it looks like it does:
>
> "Does SCSI2SD do ECC or mirroring ?
>
> No. However, you can configure SCSI2SD as up to four devices and use whatever RAID, data duplication, striping, or mirroring capabilities your equipment supports."
>
> In fact it looks like you can subdivide one card into four virtual drives and do mirroring and RAID on one card. Kind of defeats the purpose but I guess it can be a cheap solution to avoid having to buy multiple boards.
>
> Now if they would make an UW version....
>
> -Ali

In this the weakest link would appear to be the SD Card.  As such it seems to me that the best solution would be to have 2 or more SCSI2SD’s in the device. I’m not sure what benefit would be achieved by using a single board to present multiple devices.  Unless of course you had a drive size limitation, or you’re trying to emulate something like 2GB or 4GB drives.  As an example, that would be handy for VAXen with a 1GB Boot Drive limitation.

Zane