IBM PC Network

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Sat May 22 19:50:14 CDT 2021

Bill,

On Sat, 22 May 2021 17:43:44 -0400
Bill Degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com> wrote:

> You mean a Tokenray network?

Wow, never heard of "Tokenray" ;)

BTW: 16 Mbit Token Ring was much more reliable (especially in "noisy"
environments) and considerably faster with more consistent performance than 10
Mbit Ethernet. We won a number of large contracts when other network companies
used twisted pair 10 Mbit Ethernet in "noisy" environments and their networks
failed miserably.

When Ethernet finally went to 100 Mbit, it also had better noise margins
and nearly everyone moved to that (except folks with mainframe computers).
Ultimately, IBM supported Ethernet on mainframes, so that "ended" Token Ring
networks (plus IBM never upgraded Token Ring past 16 Mbit).

Regularly upgrading networks was one of the things that made the
networking/systems-integration business so terrific.

Oh yes, that and we used to charge about $250-$350 a node for network cards
with a 40% margin. Ah, those were the days ;)

Cheers,
Lyle
--

--