Writings on AI from 17 years ago....

Jim Manley jim.manley at gmail.com
Mon May 24 18:01:12 CDT 2021

I’m not a lawyer (thank goodness!), but you have to know what they plan to
do and when.  If they don’t “happen to see” your associated paperwork and
intend to scrap it, the only notice may be via some “public” announcement
in an obscure local periodical, as is customary for foreclosure sales.  If
no one sees it, it didn’t happen.

I would hope locals formerly associated with the museum will see something
like that, but you just never know.  Paul Allen left a lot of stuff for the
executors of the estate to deal with, and the going businesses (mostly real
estate, sports teams, etc.) are no doubt the highest priorities, as they
could continue generating revenue to keep some, if not all, lower
priorities going.

The medical institutes (plural) are probably the next highest priorities
after the businesses, to ensure continuity of operations, and because they
were very important to his survival, as long as it lasted.  The arts
efforts haven’t seen anything from him since 2014, and they’re very nervous.

The LCM+L may survive into perpetuity if it gets spun out into its own LLC,
as happened with the Museum of Pop Culture (née Experience Music Project,
etc.) a number of years ago.  I would guess that the LCM+L had a place deep
in his heart based on strong memories of his geekiness going back to his
boyhood.  However, if he hadn’t already protected it, it’s up to the
executors of the estate as to what will ultimately happen.

At least the building hasn’t been sold off and the utilities and security
are apparently being maintained, along with the existence of the website.
Releasing the staff was likely the fastest way to reduce cash outflow the
most until its potential future could be analyzed.  There are a ton of
qualified people who could at least get it reopened and operating again, if
not former employees with the most expertise on its history and inner
workings.

Consultants on an as-needed basis, and volunteers could fill in the holes,
if needed, over time.  One thing that’s required long-term is transitioning
to a younger generation of enthusiasts, as those of us with the required
expertise are not getting any younger, faster with every passing day.  We
will also suffer Paul’s untimely fate sooner than anyone would like, even
if it’s years into the future, but it’s gonna happen eventually.

Just my buck-two-eightie’s worth (two cents, adjusted for inflation since
bootup!).