MicroVAX 3300/3400

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Tue May 25 17:09:32 CDT 2021

On 25/05/2021 18:53, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
> I’m still not 100% sure if this is a 3300 or a 3400.  It’s in a BA400X chassis, and after looking at the manuals last night, it seems like it’s closer to the 3400. My familarity with Q-Bus MicroVAXen is limited to MicroVAX/VAXstation II’s, and a MicroVAX 3.
>
> After getting a power cable (the only one at PCH Cables was a 3’ one, and I didn’t want to wait for more to come in), it powered right up, but is failing 4 tests.
>
> I quickly learned last night that “TEST 9E” prints all the tests out to screen.  This effort is making me wish I had a DEC LA50 plugged into the terminal. :-)
>
> It starts counting down diagnostics at “41”.
>
> 27..
> ?57 2 17 FF 00 0000
>
> 22..
> ?C2 2 01 FF 00 0001
>
> 07..
> ?5C 2 01 FF 00 0002
>
> 06..
> ?5D 2 0B FF 00 0003
>
> 57 = SI_memory	incr test_matter *****
> C2 = SSC RAM ALL	*
> 5C = SII_initiator	******
> 5D = SII target		*******
>
> I think this is indicating issues with the DSSI interface.  The system has two RF73 DSSI drives, which sound like they spin up.  It also has a TK70 tape drive.  It says it has 4MB and 16MB RAM, all good.
>
> One odd thing is that the KA640-A seems to plug into another board, before the DSSI drives. I’m getting ready to dig into that, and find out what that board is.
>
> Zane

SII is the built-in DSSI interface. Is it terminated properly?

SSC is (iirc) the System Support Chip ... that may be more serious.

FWIW I think the distinction between the 3300/3400 is the size of the
box: the innards are the same. (So same as the 3500/3600 and 3800/3900
and the uV3100-30/40 etc.).

Both the uV3300 and the uV3400 use the KA640 board.

If you plug KA640 into manx you'll find two useful manuals online.

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
antonio at acarlini.com