MicroVAX 3300/3400

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Thu May 27 17:25:43 CDT 2021

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 2:35 PM Zane Healy <healyzh at avanthar.com> wrote:

> Except for the DSSI cable strangeness, it’s a really nice chassis.  Though after a LOT of reading in the last 24 hours, may are right on it being a mongrel.  It also explains my confusion as to what it is. :-)
>
> https://www.zanesphotography.com/Private/MicroVAX/n-96z8NZ/MicroVAX
>
> This is probably the best of the photo’s of the cabling.
>
> https://www.zanesphotography.com/Private/MicroVAX/n-96z8NZ/MicroVAX/i-vFkfBQ2/A

The 50-pin round cable that plugs into the M7624 KA640 CPU on one end
and into the flat 50-pin ribbon cable on the other end, and the 50-pin
ribbon cable with the two IDC connectors in the middle and the DSSI
bulkhead connector on the other end might be the internal DSSI cabling
removed from a BA215 enclosure.

Maybe what happened is that someone scraped a MicroVAX 3300 and pulled
the M7624 KA640 CPU and internal DSSI cabling out of the BA215
enclosure, and transplanted those into the B400X enclosure, plus added
the external DSSI cable to connect the transplanted BA215 enclosure
DSSI cabling up to the B400X M9715 DSSI bulkhead connector.

Maybe someone here has a spare M7626 KA660 CPU that they could give
you a good deal on to replace your possibly dead M7624 KA640 CPU,
which would clean up the DSSI cabling at the same time. I don't think
I have more M7626 KA660 CPUs on hand myself than BA215/BA430
enclosures to use with them.