Front Panel Tech Note 2

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at
Mon Jun 15 09:31:55 CDT 2015

I can tell you what they were called internally at DEC.
Mainly due to the fact I was there at the time.
They were called Toggles or Toggle switches and their use was called 
'Toggling' hence 'To toggle in the bootstrap'
Any DEC field engineer of that time knew by heart the sequence of octal 
numbers you entered to bring the system up.

Rod Smallwood

On 15/06/2015 14:11, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: Pontus Pihlgren
>      >> Seeing the one with the one with the missing toggle switches reminds
>      >> me that I have an enquiry out re getting some made.
>      > I believe many would appreciate that.
> We probably ought to standardize our terminology to be slightly less
> confusing. As we've determined, the actual switch is a slide switch, not a
> toggle. I'm not sure what the official DEC name is for the plastic lever which
> actuates the slide switch - anyone know?
> 	Noel
> PS: If a way is developed to make the plastic levers, the 11/20 uses the
> exact same part, just in PDP-11 colours.

More information about the cctalk mailing list