DEC Alpha 3000 Model 600

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 7 04:16:36 CDT 2015

I thought it might be nice to have a DEC based graphics work station.
I had the Alpha, a high res monitor and the Hobbyist Media CD for
ALPHAVMS 8,3. (yes the system supports 8.3)
SFSG ..  So CD in the drive and switch on. First a nice colour graphics
demo/test.
Then the nomal system level stuff. >>> prompt, enter SHO DEV and our CD
drive shows as DKA400 just where it should be.

So Boot DKA400: and off we go. After a while a menu appears from which
you can load  layered products you need.
It gets part way through the load and falls over with a data error. The
cd is a real bought and paid for Media CD and is not a copy.

Before I do a lot of tedious emaling (HP have taken the Hobbyist program
in house) has anybody successfully loaded an Alpha  with ALPHA VMS 8.3?

Regards
Rod