Front panel switches - what did they do?

Jon Elson elson at
Tue May 24 21:02:12 CDT 2016

On 05/24/2016 01:22 PM, Al Kossow wrote:
> On 5/24/16 10:44 AM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>> There was also automated "stapled wire".  I forget the name for the process.
> stitch wire
> you spot weld to a socket post
No, there was another system made by AMP.  The backplane 
connectors had rectangular posts, about .030 x .050" or 
something.  You had rolls of stranded wire, maybe about 26 
Gauge.  There was a "gun" that had a roll of little metal 
clip (or maybe it was a stick-like magazine) that wrapped 
almost completely around the posts.
So, you stuck the end of the wire into a notch in the gun 
and pressed the gun down onto the post and squeezed the 
grip.  A mechanism would break the clip off the strip or 
roll and push it down onto the post, shearing the insulation 
off the wire and trapping it against the post.  it was 
actually faster than wire-wrap.  I think there was a way to 
do bussed wiring with it, so you just made a little loop of 
wire and went snap-snap-snap over the rows of posts.  You 
could put 4 or 5 wires on a post easily, too. There was a 
special tool that would hook the clip and pull it off, when 
changes were needed.

I also can't remember the name of this system.  A big piece 
of gear, two or 3 relay racks full of boards, was built 
using this at a VERY prior place of employment, so that was 
in 1969.


More information about the cctalk mailing list