Membership disabled due to bounces

Graham Toal gtoal at gtoal.com
Thu Nov 24 00:19:27 CST 2016

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 11:43 PM, Richard Loken <rlloken at telus.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2016, John H. Reinhardt wrote:
>
> I was thinking of changing my email to another provider even though I've
>> had this one for at least 12 years.  But if it's because of a configuration
>> problem, then other providers may react the same way so will it do any good?
>>

> I doubt that changing your email provider will help.
>
> My mail is constantly being disabled now that I am using my ISP address
> but it wasn't while I was using my work email address but I think that
> is a coincidence - the problem did not manifest itself until a few
> weeks after I changed my email address.
>
> By the way, I am my employer's email administrator and I know that I was
> not doing anything special to make the email go through - no spf records,
> no nothing.

Not so.  By doing nothing (ie NOT creating an SPF record for the sending
domain) you pretty much guarantee a lack of problems. (At least, these
specific problems).  It's the smart aleck admins who do create SPF records
etc who cause the problems, in conjunction with recipients that think these
records are worth paying attention to.  The irony is that SPF was invented
by the advertising industry to ensure that their so called 'legitimate'
bulk mail gets through; it does very little to stop actual spam and it
completely messes up mailing lists and people who use traditional SMTP mail
while travelling.  Sorry, I shouldn't start on SPF, it just drives me
crazy.  If you are a DNS admin, *please* don't fall for the SPF bullshit.
 (For some reason Microsoft are totally enamored of it and twist their
clients' arms to enable it :-/ )