RL02 to PC image

Henk Gooijen henk.gooijen at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 13:57:59 CST 2017

Van: Ethan Dicks via cctalk<mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Verzonden: vrijdag 15 december 2017 19:34
Aan: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts<mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Onderwerp: Re: RL02 to PC image

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 9:38 AM, systems_glitch
<systems.glitch at gmail.com> wrote:
> vtserver does indeed work for transferring RL02 contents to a binary image,
> suitable for use with SIMH or E11 or whatever.

Yep.  I backed up the RD52 in a new-to-me MicroPDP-11 and it took hours.

> Be advised, it takes a *long*
> time, even on a 11/73 with the serial port turned up to 38400 bps.

Has anyone done any console serial port hacking for speed on Qbus or
Unibus?  On something integrated like a KDF11-B it might not be so
easy, but maybe a DLV11J or a DL11W?

I'd think hitting 115200 would be really sweet, if everything can keep
up.  Totally worth some experimentation to see what part gives out at
ludicrous speed.

-ethan

I have not yet had time to build/test it, but a few months ago there
was an RL01/RL02 emulator project on VCF.  You need a PDP-11
with RL11 controller. The RL0x emultor connects to the RL11
just as an RL01/RL02 disk drive and you can assign it any drive
number (0 - 3).
But what is really nice is that the emulator cooperates with
real RL drives. So, you can have one real RL0x drive and up
to 3 “emulated” RL drives. The storage is a flash card.
The RT-11) command .COPY DL0:*.* DL1: works (where #0 is real,
and #1 is flash).
After the copy you pull the flash card and copy it on a PC.