SimH DECtape vs. Tops-10 [was RE: Writing emulators [Was: Re: VCF PNW 2018: Pictures!]]

Rick Murphy rick at
Fri Feb 23 15:49:06 CST 2018

On 2/21/2018 5:14 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
> Ok, then it could be for VMS, which also does this (via Andy's unsupported driver).  I don't know of PDP-11 or other minicomputer systems that do DECtape overlapped seek.  I suppose it could be for artistic verisimilitude...

TSS/8. It was a wonderful thing to witness. Start the drive spinning,
deselect it, go start up another, then reselect the first one as it
approached the right part of the tape.