On 29/09/2026 22:11, Paul Koning wrote:
It's interesting how many of them are unauthorized
copies of Western machines.
In terms of machines in the wild, I'd expect that copies of IBM systems
and PDPs and VAXen would outnumber most things. But most of the
oddball word sizes look like original machines.
I have somewhere a brochure from a computer manufacturer in Soviet-occupied Lithuania
named STIMTI; the text is mostly in Lithuanian with shorter versions in Russian and
German. I forgot the details; I think one of the machines was their own design but
several are copies of DEC machines.
There is of course the famous story, possibly true, about the CVAX chip having a little
note on it in Russian saying "CVAX --- when you want to steal the very best".
Here's what would seem to be an authoritative source:
https://simh.trailing-edge.com/semi/cvax.html (near the bottom).
And an image (which I remember seeing long enough ago that if it was
faked, it was done so by human hands):
https://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/creatures/pages/russians.html
Antonio
--
Antonio Carlini
antonio(a)acarlini.com