And all our daily driver languages look like Algol or FORTRAN,
excepting Forth and APL, both written by mad scientists,
On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 4:51 PM Paul Koning via cctalk
<cctalk(a)classiccmp.org> wrote:
On Sep 29, 2026, at 7:46 PM, Paul Koning via
cctalk <cctalk(a)classiccmp.org> wrote:
On Sep 29, 2026, at 4:28 PM, Peter Ekstrom
<epekstrom(a)gmail.com> wrote:
Ah yes, RPG.... I used to write and maintain programs on an AS/400 in RPG-III and /400
back in my youth. Good memories.
I know GCC has COBOL and also FORTRAN and ADA but I don't know of an RPG compiler.
Me neither. The closest I have come to RPG is my youngest sister, who was a commercial
contract programmer around Y2K and made quite a good living updating COBOL and RPG
programs. To her I owe this lovely quote: "COBOL -- the programming language that
gives you writer's cramp".
GCC has accumulated quite a bunch of languages at this point. C/C++ of course, and
Objective C/C++, and Fortran. Also Ada, COBOL, Modula-2, D, Algol-68, and (on a fork)
VHDL. I think that's it though I may have missed one or two.
Yes, I missed two. Quoth the
gcc.gnu.org <http://gcc.gnu.org/> homepage:
"The GNU Compiler Collection includes front ends for C, C++, Objective-C,
Objective-C++, Fortran, Ada, Go, D, Modula-2, COBOL, Rust, and Algol 68..."
GHDL is separate:
https://github.com/ghdl/ghdl
paul